Saturday, September 19, 2009

CD Mix #10

Alexis asked me a few weeks ago whatever happened to my blog. The answer? Facebook. It is easier to comment a line or two on there than it is to think up a whole blog of something to write.

It seems that the last time I blogged it was to disclose the tracks on CD Mix #9. To continue the tradition, here are the tracks and commentary to CD Mix #10

1. Song with the same title as #20 -- Don’t Ask me why – Annie Lennox
I’ve been wanting to use this song since Heidi started using it as an example for the “question and answer” example. I love this song, and it just so happens that I have another song in my library with the same name!

2. Epic - Song that could be a movie - Harry Worth – Elvis Costello
The last time we did this question on a mix, I limited myself to no Elvis and no Squeeze. I pretty much think that all of their songs could be movies, because they tell stories. With this being the last mix, I decided that I could use my favorite artists without worrying about always using the same artists.

3. Song you would use to tell someone you love them --I’ll Stand By You – The Pretenders
Something you promise someone you love – and you mean it.

4. Kick-ass cover song -- Eleanor Rigby – Aretha Franklin
I admit that I bought this one from iTunes just for this mix. I had no idea what song I wanted to use and you’ll see that this isn’t the only cover in my mix. I like how she changed the lyrics to suit her. The song is from Eleanor’s point of view. This Beatle’s song has always been one of my favorites because Eleanor was my mother’s name. She hated this song, pretty much with the same vehemence with which I hate their song “Michelle.”

5. Title track -- Von Hier an Blind – Wir Sind Helden
Awesome song, even if you don’t understand the lyrics. The title means, “from here on blind.” It is a relationship song couched in the metaphor of taking a car trip and getting lost. The first bit goes:
Zwischen zwei Fragen
In der Lücke zwischen zwei Tagen
Blieb
Nichts mehr zu sagen
Kein Leid mehr zu beklagen und ich
Nahm den Wagen
Und ging vor ihm in die Knie
Ich sagte:
Ich weiß nicht weiter
War ich noch nie
War ich noch nie

Between two questions between the span of two days, there was nothing more to say, no more pain left to complain about. And I took the car and before it on my knees I said, “I don’t know how this goes on, I’ve never been, I’ve never been.”

6. Parenthetical title -- I’m Sorry (So is Brenda Lee) – Marshall Crenshaw
This song was included, not only because it kicks ass, but because Marshall belongs in a final mix.

7. Instrumental -- After Midnight – Danny Elfman (Chicago)
Love the soundtrack from this movie. I have lots of instrumentals in the library, but this one was included, I won’t lie, because it is so short.

8. Holiday song -- What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve – Ella Fitzgerald
Beautiful, beautiful song. Love me some Ella.

9. Alliteration --Still too Soon to Know – Elvis Costello
As I said, I wasn’t limiting my artists here. This one alliterates on the S and the T. Do I get bonus points for that?

10. Spell it out --I’m a Woman – Peggy Lee
This is the first song that came to mind last time this question appeared in a mix. I didn’t use it because it seemed too obvious. Does anyone else think of Enjoli when they hear this song?

11. Famous title Also from CD Mix #7 -- Yertle the Turtle – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Another one purchased just for this mix. I’ll bet Dr. Seuss would love this song.

12. Song about food -- Rotten Peaches – Elton John
I have very few songs about food in my library and even fewer with food in the title. It isn’t my favorite EJ song, but I think it fits in well here.

13. Fashion Police -- Lines in the suit – Spoon
Love this band. I suspect I may have used this song, or at least a song from this album before.

14. Spoken word --Comedy is not pretty – Steve Martin
Yeah, I don’t have a lot of spoken word stuff that isn’t comedy.

15. Song with a one-word title --Still – Glenn Tilbrook
This song is my favorite from Glenn’s latest album. It is kind of Squeezy, very poppy and sweet.

16. Human Anatomy 101 --The Eyes of Sara Jane – The Jayhawks
I heard this song on the radio once when I still listened often. It was a rainy day and I was on my way to catch the bus for a little trip to the Tarjay Boutique. When I got home, I got online and ordered the album. It has been a long time since I bought an entire CD because I liked one song.

17. Song about a family member -- Does your mother know – ABBA
Well does she? ABBA is a guilty pleasure.

18. Song by a band or artist you normally can’t stand -- Heart of Stone – Dave Stewart
I don’t hate the Eurythmics but I’ve always been turned off by Dave Stewart. This song was popular – at least in Europe – my first year in Salzburg. I’ve always liked it, but was never moved to listen to the rest of his album, and I don’t even know if he’s published anything since.

19. Amnesty song --Why Does it Always Rain on Me – Travis
I tried to use this on a question about the weather once, but it just didn’t fit. I think I’ve used all the songs that I’ve been dying to share, so here you go.

20. Song with the same title as #1 --Don’t Ask Me Why – Billy Joel
Always a favorite of mine off of Glass Houses, even with the nonsensical lyrics Yesterday you were an only child/Now your ghosts have gone away, oooh/ You can kill them in the classic style/Now you parlez vous francais

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:11 PM , Blogger Bet said...

I really enjoyed your mix. I'd not heard the Aretha, hadn't heard Rotten Peaches in forever, and it made me smile. And not having the latest album, didn't know that Glenn, and I love it. Then Marshall, and the instrumental was great, and the Elvises (Elvii?) - great job!

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Krizzer said...

Dishy! I LOVE your CD. Totally love it. For one, I am a huge old Steve Martin standup fan. If I owned any in digital format I'm sure I would have used him too. Although I probably would have used the bit about the googlephonic stereo with the moonrock needle. Or the hostages.

And I love your Amnesty song! I've never heard it, but until I looked at your track listing I thought it was Jeff Buckley. I thought it was a litle out of character for JB, but it sounded like his voice. Anyhoo - nice work!

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Love your classic songs for 8 and 10.
Also had a dickens of a time with a damned food song. Plenty of drinking songs, though.
13. Seriously, if the entire Hucklebug world doesn't understand the brilliance of Spoon, it ain't for lack of trying. This was an alternate for me.
17. You've got some nerve using ABBA on a CD mix. But it's good for me, as they're a guilty pleasure from way back.

Great mix!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home